Natural Wonders Trees is proud to provide the Los Angeles area with tree care. Whether you need help with tree trimming, removal, or another tree service, we're happy to help.
Do you have questions about your trees? Read below for frequently asked questions or give us a call!
What are the consequences of topping vs. tree pruning?
The decision to prune trees requires advice from our experts. In many instances, topping replaces pruning as a cheaper alternative to tree care. But what many do not know is that the long term repercussions of topping are not only more costly, but devastating to the longevity of your trees.
Why is it bad?
- Removing more than 1/4 or 1/3 of the crown upsets the tree's crown-to-root ratio, cutting off its food making ability.
- A topped tree is a disfigured tree. Even with its re-growth, it never regains the grace and character of its species.
- Hidden costs
- Reduced property value
- Expenses of removal and replacement if the tree dies
- Loss of other trees and shrubs if they succumb to changed light conditions
- Risk of liability from weakened branches
- Increased future maintenance
How can I avoid malnutrition?
To avoid malnutrition, be sure to give your trees an adequate amount of micronutrients, such as magnesium sulfate, limestone, gypsum, iron, and zinc. However, trees need very limited amounts of these compounds, and an overabundance can be harmful. Call our certified arborist for advice on the correct amounts of each you should provide.
How can I prevent frost damage?
Frost damage can be prevented if your trees’ leaves stay hydrated during a period of severe cold. Additionally, frequent watering and fertilization in anticipation of a cold night can also "harden" the cells of certain plants.
What happens if I overwater?
Overwatering or poor drainage can cause root rot in your trees. Fungicides or manganese treatments can be effective as treatments or preventative measures.